Sunday, October 10, 2010

Day 210: Love, war, dancing, buffoonery.

On Friday, I was in a wedding. It was beautiful, happy, and just as they both wanted it. I'm pretty sure I behaved well enough to go unnoticed, which was mainly my goal. Only a few people heard me and chuckled when they announced "single men! come up for the garter toss!" and I yelled "there are none!". That was my one rebellious moment.

Afterward, I decided to, instead of driving back to Dallas, go to a School of Seven Bells show at Hailey's, where it was reconfirmed: White intellectuals don't dance. I've come across this again and again and view it as the bane of many good shows. This time around, due to my severely unquenched need to rebel, I danced without reservations. Kristen was kind enough to be my partner in crime. I'm sure many strange looks were thrown and plenty of judgmental vibes were sent, but I had a grand time; snobs be damned. I don't understand why people in this vane of culture are afraid to dance. I know at least 85 percent of them wanted to but thought they'd look stupid or unrefined and thus were scared. I'm sure I looked both, but does it really matter? I think the joy of having an uninhibitingly fantastic time is more satisfying than not looking ridiculous. The price is well worth it, like paying pennies for a gold-plated Ipod. 

That being said, next time you go to a quality show and everyone is acceptably bobbing their heads, maybe tapping their foot or tamely swaying, and you really instead want to FEEL the music and dance around, please do!!! If I am there, I will dance with you. White dignity is not as good as a serious dancing fest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment